Esports are here to stay, but so are the common arguments against them. And for good reason: we all want to make sure our students succeed! So how do we honor stakeholders' concerns and address common misconceptions in an anti-naive, pro-progress way? I discuss five of the most frequent "cons" against esports in the video below. Check out the resources in this post for further reading.
- Everything You Wanted to Know about Esports (But Were Afraid to Ask)
- Leagues of Learning: The Rising Tide of Esports in Education
- Fueling an Appetite for Esports at Fresno USD
- Common Sense Media: Parents’ Ultimate Guide to Esports
Misconceptions: Further Reading
Video Games Glorify Violence
- Nonviolent Esports Take Centerstage for Olympics 2024
- Vox: Well-Cited Article about the Ongoing Causal Debate of Video Games and Violence
Screen Time/Team Charters
Addictiveness of Esports
- Get Gamers Out of the Seat with These Other Roles
- Psychology Today: "People who game for fun or socializing are less likely to become hooked than people who are caught up in the need for status or simply to escape from the problems in their lives."