As used in this policy, “personal information” means information that would allow a party to identify you such as, for example, your name, address or location, telephone number or email address.
- Privacy policies and data collection and use policies should be human readable, comprehensive, and easy to locate;
- Only the minimum amount of information reasonably necessary to provide you with services should be collected and maintained, and only for so long as reasonably needed or required;
- Information you provide through our websites, or that we gather as a result of your use of our websites, should not be used for marketing or advertising purposes without your permission;
- Any information you provide should not be voluntarily (without your permission) to anyone else unless required; and,
- Unless restricted or prohibited by law, and provided your email address has been collected and retained, you should be notified when circumstances require us to provide a third party with your personal information.
Personal information we collect
We may collect personal information at several places on the websites, including without limitation:
- When you provide us with your personal information such as by sending an email to us or signing up to receive a newsletter or our events listing;
- When you subscribe to one of our email discussion lists or register to establish a user account on any of our websites;
- When you purchase services from us;
- When you apply for a job opening; and/or,
- When you provide personal information in connection with posting content on our websites.
What we do with your personal information
Emails and Newsletters. We use the personal information you provide to us when you send us emails or sign up to receive our newsletter or events listing in order to respond to your request — for example, to reply to your email or to send you communications about news and events related to us.
When you subscribe to our newsletter, events list or one of our email discussion lists, your name and email address is sent to and stored in a secure database we maintain. Personal information submitted as part of our email discussion lists is used for the purpose of managing the discussion lists. Your name and email address will typically be visible to other list participants when you correspond on the list and to the general public in the discussion archives. All emails sent to a discussion list may be publicly archived.
Purchasing services. We use the personal information you provide for the purpose of contacting you about upcoming news and events related to the work we do. When we contact you for the first time after your engagement with us ends, we will use reasonable means to give you the option to choose not to be contacted in this manner again. When you purchase services from us, your name may be published in our portfolio unless you request otherwise.
Applying for a job. When you apply for a job with us, you provide personal information to create your job application. We use that personal information to evaluate your qualifications, expertise, and abilities for the purpose of employment with us, for contacting you about your application and again in the future when potential job openings are posted. You authorize us to use the information you publish in your job application for investigation and evaluation whether such information is of public record or not.
Participating on our websites. When you post content on our websites, you may be asked to provide personal information to establish your identity. If you voluntarily provide your real name in connection with any content you submit to any Website, your name may be associated with the content you contributed (such as when you comment on a blog post). We will also use that personal information for the purpose of contacting you about upcoming news and events.
Disclosures of personal information
In general, it is not our practice to disclose personal information to third parties. We may share personal information in two instances:
- We may share personal information with our contractors and service providers in order to maintain, enhance, or add to the functionality of our websites; and,
- We may disclose your personal information to third parties in a good faith belief that such disclosure is reasonably necessary to:
- Take action regarding suspected illegal activities;
- Comply with legal process, such as a search warrant, subpoena, statute, or court order; or,
- Protect our rights, reputation, and property, or that of our users, affiliates, or the public.
If we are required to provide a third party with your personal information (whether by subpoena or otherwise), then provided we have collected and retained an email address for you, we will use reasonable means to notify you promptly of that event, unless prohibited by law or we are otherwise advised not to notify you on the advice of legal counsel.
Security of personal information collected via our websites
We have implemented reasonable measures to protect against unauthorized access to and unlawful interception or processing of personal information that we store and control. However, no website can fully eliminate security risks. Third parties may circumvent our security measures to unlawfully intercept or access transmissions or private communications. We will post a reasonably prominent notice on our websites if any such security breach occurs.
Data Usage Policy: non-personal browsing and site usage information
Our Data Usage Policy covers how we maintain and use information about you that is collected by our Websites and server logs, including when you access or use one of our websites:
Non-Personal Browsing Information We Collect. When you use our websites, our servers (which may be hosted by a third party service provider) may collect information indirectly and automatically (through, for example, the use of your “IP address”) about your activities while visiting our websites and information about the browser you are using. In addition, whenever you post content on our websites, our servers (which, again, may be hosted by a third party service provider) keep a log of when and what was posted.
No Linking. We do not intentionally link browsing information or information from our logs to the personal information you submit to us. We use this information for internal purposes only, such as to help understand how our websites are being used, to improve our websites and the features we provide, and for systems administration purposes. We may use a third party analytics provider to help us collect and analyze non personal browsing information through operation of our websites for those same purposes.
No Retention. We discard non-personal browsing information from our server logs once we have used the information for the limited purposes noted above, under “No Linking.”
Notice. If we are required to provide a third party with your non-personal browsing information (whether by subpoena or otherwise), then we will use reasonable means to notify you promptly of that event, unless we are prohibited by law from doing so or is otherwise advised not to notify you on the advice of legal counsel.
Reorganization or spin-offs
Special note to international users
Our websites are hosted in the United States. If you are accessing our websites from the European Union, Asia, or any other region with laws or regulations governing personal data collection, use and disclosure that differ from United States laws, please note that you are transferring your personal data to the United States which does not have the same data protection laws as the EU and other regions. By providing your personal data you consent to:
- The transfer of your personal data to the United States as indicated above.