Deeply engaged. Voraciously curious. Eager to share. Talks the talk. Walks the walk.
Tavia has nearly two decades of invaluable experience in coaching, leading, creating and developing learning experiences using innovative pedagogical methods, and in fostering powerful face-to-face and online learning opportunities.
Tavia comes to Clarity from Evergreen Public Schools in Vancouver, Washington where she served as an Edtech TOSA (Teacher On Special Assignment): helping educators across the district intentionally integrate technology into pedagogically sound learning experiences. Before that, she worked at The Friday Institute for Educational Innovation, where she created innovative professional learning experiences and coaching for K-12 educators.
Previously, Tavia served as a school librarian and a high school English teacher. Though she has worn many hats during her career, the constant that links all of her work is an unwavering commitment to giving educators the tools they need to engage students in both local and global communities.
Tavia was a project lead on two statewide coaching programs for the Friday Institute at North Carolina State University—The Coaching Collaborative and the North Carolina Digital Leaders Coaching Network. Here, she served hundreds of educators as both a Project Lead on district initiatives and as a content developer and facilitator.
In her position at Clarity Innovations, Tavia develops meaningful and impactful content for a variety of clients—each with their own unique needs and contexts—to help educators successfully integrate and adapt practices for evolving and changing digital environments.
Education and/or certifications held
- BA, English and Secondary Education, University of North Carolina-Wilmington
- MA, Library Science and Information Studies, East Carolina University
Select presentations and workshops
- Let Students Take the Wheel and Drive Learning with Brittany Miller, NCTIES (2018)
- Supporting, Coaching, and Leading Blended Learning (for coaches and for administrators), EPS One by One Conference (2018)
- Using Google Tools to Leverage Student Agency in Your Library, SWWA Google Summit (2018)
- Creating a Connected Classroom: Connected Educator Professional Learning Series, EPS District PD (2018)
- Diving Into the Dynamic Now and the Evolving Next - Creating a Future Ready Library, Franklin County Schools Sizzlin' Summer Conference (2017)
- Blend, Bend, Flip Learning! - Amazing Race Style with Brittany Miller, Franklin County Schools Sizzlin' Summer Conference (2017)
- Google Apps for Ed Amazing Race with Brittany Miller, Google Apps for Ed Raleigh Summit (2017)
- Makerspaces: Bringing Design Thinking & Creativity to the Library, webinar for ECU MLIS Students (2016)
- Happily Ever After: A STEAM & Literacy Collaborative Unit, Region 1 Conference: Personalizing Learning Through Technology (2016)
- 4C-ing A Better Learning Experience with Greg Garner, NC Center for the Advancement of Teaching (2016)
- Mystify Students with Augmented Reality, Dare to Share Conference (2015); CCS Convocation (2015)
- Diving Into Inquiry, Dare to Share Conference (2014)
- North Carolina School Library Association Coastal Region Media Coordinator of the Year, 2013-2014
- Department of Library Science Curriculum Committee, East Carolina University Student/Alumnus Representative chosen by faculty, 2011-2013
- First Year Teacher of the Year, the Phillip O. Berry Academy of Technology Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools, 2004