Type : Full-time employment, salaried-exempt status
Scope : 1.0 FTE, 40 hours per week
Deadline : Open until filled
Location : Portland, Oregon (relocation expense reimbursement available)
We are growing our organization and have an opportunity to bring on a new manager of the Creative Services department to lead, grow, and support our team of Learning Experience Designers, Technical Producers, Content Developers, and Graphic Designers (presently a team of nine, and growing).
We are seeking people looking for meaning in their work, that want to be empowered to make a difference in the lives of educators and students everywhere. We are seeking someone eager to bring their perspective and expertise, to cultivate a project, process, or idea, and see it through to help us exceed our clients’ expectations.
As the manager of the Creative Services team, you will support the team's growth and success, improve our processes, and help inform, shape, and implement strategic goals for the company.
This position is not about managing projects or tasks, but about managing people.
You will be working collaboratively on interesting problems that leverage your leadership skills to help us excel at creating solutions that improve the process and practice of teaching and learning.
Who we hire for this role is expected to contribute to Clarity’s success through excellent leadership, coaching, and management skills in performing the following major job duties:
- Supervise the activities of the team to manage their workload, clarify priorities, resolve obstacles, faciltate growth, and improve processes;
- Help develop team members' strengths, identify areas of growth, and work on a plan to pursue their professional interests;
- Determine long-term staffing requirements, positions, requirements and qualifications, and interview and train new hires;
- Assist Client Leads and the Director of Strategy with estimating, scoping, and resourcing each project to avoid schedule constraints or other conflicts with existing commitments;
- Establish and implement policies, procedures, and service quality standards;
- Participate in Clarity’s strategic planning, growth, and process improvement initiatives; and,
- Work closely within a team and goal oriented environment, in a proactive manner, assuming such responsibilities as are necessary to get the job done (i.e., no such thing as ‘not my job’).
We expect our Creative Services Manager to be highly skilled at:
- Motivating, developing, and directing people as they work, identifying the best fit for individual project assignments, and monitoring performance to make process improvements or take corrective action;
- Collaborating with others on the team, communicating clearly both verbally and in writing, and being savvy with technology tools for word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, sharing documents, browsing the Web, and managing calendars and email;
- Demonstrating a commitment to teamwork and team success among a group of talented professionals (i.e., proven leadership skills);
- Mapping out, improving, and maintaining production and quality assurance workflows; and,
- Using good judgment in applying a certain degree of creativity and latitude in managing and growing a diverse and talented team.
Candidates are expected to possess advanced working knowledge of common management principles, such as strategic planning, coaching and mentoring, recruiting, estimation, and resource allocation.
Though we prefer our next Manager of Creative Services is already familiar with the practice and process of K-12 education, (e.g., instructional strategies for individuals and groups online and face to face, classroom management methods, curriculum and training design and the measurement of learning outcomes), this is not a requirement.
The candidate we hire for this position is expected to have a proven track-record of managing, supporting, and growing the success of a diverse team of talented contributors. At a minimum, candidates are expected to demonstrate they have managed a team of five or more employees (not contractors) for four or more years, and have a work history demonstrating their capabilities to perform the duties above successfully, and with increasing responsibility.
Preference is also given to candidates with past experience working at:
- A K12 educational institution;
- A content or design and production agency; and/or,
- An educational publisher, software company, or service provider.
If you think you can excel at this job with experience that looks a little different from what we’ve identified, we’d love to learn more about you.
A bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university is strongly preferred, but not required. Studies in education, management, or a closely related field are desirable and may be useful, but are not required. Additional coursework (e.g., towards a professional certification or graduate level degree) is welcomed, but again, not required. Likewise, participation in a professional organization in a field related to our business is desired though not required.
The Creative Services Manager:
- Reports to the President & CEO and is a member of the management team for the company;
- Participates in weekly individual status meetings with each of their direct reports and the Client Leads;
- Leads regular department meetings of the Creative Services team;
- Is accountable to their team and management for achieving agreed-upon outcomes;
- Provides support and feedback to their direct reports and Client Leads as needed; and,
- Solicits guidance and/or support from management as needed.
Our team is presently working remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic and will continue for the foreseeable future (i.e., until public health officials permit organizations to return to work). When hired, we will assist you with setting up for remote working.
This position starts at $111,000 annually, and is adjusted upwards based on your experience and qualifications, and internal pay equity. Please note that our salary offer will be non-negotiable to preserve internal pay equity for all employees. We then evaluate compensation no less than annually and may make adjustments based on your job performance and professional growth, market data, and to preserve internal pay equity.
This position requires successful completion of employment and education verification as conditions of employment. A failure to meet these requirements may result in the retraction of a job offer and/or other actions, up to and including termination of employment.