Type : Full-time employment, salaried-exempt status
Scope : 1.0 FTE, 40 hours per week
Deadline : Open until filled
Location : Portland, Oregon (required)
We are growing our organization and have an opportunity to bring on a new Creative Services Manager to lead our team of Graphic Designers, Technical Producers, Content Developers, and Learning Experience Designers (presently a team of 10, and likely to grow).
We are seeking people looking for meaning in their work, that want to be empowered to make a difference in the lives of educators and students everywhere. We are seeking someone eager to bring their perspective and expertise, to champion a project, process, or idea, and see it through to help us exceed our clients’ expectations.
You will be working collaboratively with others on interesting and challenging problems that leverage your leadership skills to help our team create solutions that improve the process and practice of teaching. In addition, as a manager you will help us grow and support our team, improve our processes, and help decide strategic goals for the company.
Who we hire for this role is expected to contribute to Clarity’s success through excellent client service and meeting or exceeding performance objectives for the following major job duties:
- Supervise and direct the activities of the team (e.g., Graphic Designers, Technical Producers, Content Developers, and Learning Experience Designers) to manage workload, clarify priorities, resolve obstacles, and to help ensure high quality deliverables are produced on budget and on schedule according to a defined process;
- Assist Client Leads and the Director of Strategy with estimating, scoping, and resourcing each project to avoid schedule constraints or other conflicts with existing commitments;
- Monitor and document the performance and growth of team members, discussing any job performance concerns with them to identify causes and issues and to facilitate resolving problems with coaching and guidance;
- Help develop team member's strengths, identify areas of growth, and work on a plan to pursue their professional interests;
- Determine long-term staffing requirements, identifying future need of additional resources either for long-term hire or temporary contract. Define positions, requirements and qualifications, and interview and train new hires;
- Perform management activities such as establishing and implementing policies, procedures, and service quality standards, conferring with management about staffing decisions or procedural changes;
- Participate in Clarity’s strategic planning, growth, and process improvement initiatives; and,
- Working closely within a team and goal oriented environment, in a proactive manner, assuming such responsibilities as are necessary to get the job done (i.e., no such thing as ‘not my job’).
We expect our Creative Services Manager to be highly skilled at:
- Motivating, developing, and directing people as they work, identifying the best people for each project, coaching others on how to do something, and monitoring results to make improvements or take corrective action;
- Collaborating with others on the team, communicating clearly both verbally and in writing, and being savvy with technology tools for word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, sharing documents, browsing the Web, and managing calendars and email;
- Demonstrating a commitment to teamwork and team success among a group of talented professionals (i.e., proven leadership skills);
- Mapping out, improving, and maintaining production and quality assurance workflows;
- Using good judgment in applying a certain degree of creativity and latitude in managing a diverse and talented team.
Candidates are expected to possess advanced working knowledge of common management principles relating to strategic planning, resource allocation, scope management and estimation, coaching and mentoring, recruitment, selection and training, leadership techniques, and production workflow management. Though we prefer candidates already be familiar with the practice and process of K-12 education, (e.g., instructional strategies for individuals and groups online and face to face, classroom management methods, curriculum and training design and the measurement of learning outcomes), we understand not everyone is so we'll gladly help bring you up to speed.
The candidate we hire for this position is expected to have a proven track-record of managing, supporting, and growing the success of a diverse team of talented contributors. At a minimum, candidates are expected to demonstrate they have managed a team of five or more individuals for four or more years, and have a work history demonstrating their capabilities to perform the duties above successfully, and with increasing responsibility.
Preference is also given to candidates with past experience working at:
- A K12 educational institution;
- A content or design and production agency; and/or,
- An educational publisher, software company, or service provider.
A bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university is strongly preferred, but not required. Studies in education, management, or a closely related field are desirable and may be useful, but are not required. Additional coursework (e.g., towards a professional certification or graduate level degree) is welcomed, but again, not required. Likewise, participation in a professional organization in a field related to our business is desired though not required.
The Creative Services Manager:
- Reports to the President & CEO and is a member of the management team for the company;
- Participates in weekly individual status meetings with each of their direct reports and the Client Leads;
- Leads regular group meetings of the Creative Services team;
- Is accountable to their team and management for achieving agreed outcomes;
- Provides support and feedback to their direct reports and Client Leads as needed; and,
- Solicits guidance and/or support from management as needed.
Available after six months for up to 20% of a flexible schedule workweek.
- Medical (including chiropractic, naturopathic and acupuncturist care), dental, vision, prescription, life, and short & long term disability insurance (premiums for your coverage are fully paid by us)
- Automatic contribution of 6% of your salary made to a 401(k) plan (with no match required by you)
- Nine paid holidays (ten, counting your birthday, which is a personal paid holiday for each employee)
- Accrue ten (10) hours of paid time off (PTO) each month
- An annual grant of PTO each January (in addition to the monthly accrual), based on years of service with us: start with up to 40 hours for your first year
- Flexible scheduling to give time for other appointments without having to use your PTO
- Flexible spending account (FSA) for medical and dependent care, and transportation pre-tax reimbursement
- Membership dues in a professional association of your choice in a field related to our work
- Monthly lunch & learns and quarterly department lunches
- Bike (and runner) friendly facility (onsite showers, indoor bike rack, spare lock, tire repair, and lights)
- Dedicated time set aside for professional learning, development, and growth
- Books, software, snacks, and supplies as needed
- Semi-annual team activities and paid community volunteering time
- Adjustable height desk and your choice of chair
This position starts at $100,000 annually, and is adjusted upwards based on experience, qualifications, internal equity, and market data.
This position requires successful completion of employment and education verification as conditions of employment. A failure to meet these requirements may result in the retraction of a job offer and/or other actions, up to and including termination of employment.